UZ-1 Zebra Instruments Universal Zebra Basic ECM Motor Testing Troubleshooter - The Universal Zebra System is a collection of tools that we hope are the most useful that Zebra Instruments has ever introduced. Many different ECM motors (from many different Motor Manufacturers) are entering the HVAC-R marketplace and being adopted by most equipment makers today. Great for the homeowner — they have found significant energy savings from their new equipment. But when the equipment stops working correctly and YOU are called to fix it —
How Do You Troubleshoot the Problem?
The complexity of these new systems has caused a special method of troubleshooting to be applied. We call it the Divide-and-Conquer method. Since information about commands and signals being sent to the motors (and the responses coming back from the motors) isn’t always available to the Tech, a way of logically splitting the System into smaller sections and then testing each of those sections is necessary.
The Components of the Universal Zebra System:
The System consists of 4 categories of tools, many of which are optional, so your System is customized to you, and to the way you work. (Click the photos below to enlarge them.)
- The Basic Tool is model UZ-1 (we affectionately call it the UZI.) It is able to test run a motor in one or more (up to six) speeds. It has seven LEDs and three 3-way switches. Housed in a rugged case that latches, it is shipped with one popular adapter, which fits the very common GE/Regal-Beloit series 2.0 and 2.3 motors.
- Adapters couple the UZI to the motor. Six different Adapters were available when the tool was released, with many more to come. In fact, we’re committed to making low-cost Adapters available for virtually every new ECM motor that is introduced into the HVAC-R Industry. The PWM Signal Generator Adapter will soon be available for testing motors that utilize PWM signal inputs.
- Motor Power Plugs with Harnesses are necessary when you want to test a motor out of its air handler/furnace environment. Most ECM motors have special power input plugs, so bench testing can be challenging without access to these plugs. A wide variety is currently available, with more to come as technology evolves.
- Accessories round out the System:
- A 24" extension for the tool’s main harness is available (it can also be used to replace the original harness if the fan wheel gets too close!)
- A rugged accessory case is available to protect your Adapter and Power Plug collection from getting damaged or lost
- Other items will be added to this category as you ask for them